SUPERLUX is LUX Scotland’s membership scheme, a national initiative that supports Scotland-based artists and arts professionals to develop more sustainable practices through professional development events, networking, skills development and training. It aims to be responsive and oriented towards serving the specific needs and requirements of the artists’ moving image community in Scotland.
It is geared towards artists, curators, researchers, writers and other arts professionals engaged with the field of artists’ moving image and is currently free to join.
SUPERLUX provides access to a host of member-only benefits including a wide range of professional development and mentoring opportunities, bursaries, research facilities and digital learning resources. Delivered across Scotland, our regular professional development programme includes artist-led workshops, masterclasses, professional practice seminars, advice and mentoring sessions, social and networking forums and reading groups.
Established in December 2015 with the generous support of the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, there are currently over 500 SUPERLUX members across Scotland.
Recent contributors to the SUPERLUX programme have included Ameenah Ayub Allen, Erika Balsom, Katrina Brown, Benjamin Cook, Jamie Crewe, Kathryn Elkin, Sarah Forrest, Dan Kidner, Anja Kirschner, Duncan Marquiss, Liz Rosenfeld, Margaret Salmon, Deborah Stratman, Ed Webb-Ingall and Andrea Luka Zimmerman.
What does SUPERLUX membership offer?
SUPERLUX members enjoy a wide range of benefits, including:
- Access to our regular professional development events programme, including artist-led practical workshops, professional practice seminars and one-on-one advice sessions with LUX and LUX Scotland staff and invited guests, delivered at various locations across Scotland
- Interface with visiting international artists through our artists’ masterclasses
- Bursary opportunities for research, development and production, including travel funds to film festivals
- Networking opportunities through SUPERLUX Social events
- Access to the LUX Scotland Collection at Glasgow School of Art Library
- Collection research sessions providing access to the LUX Collection, the largest distribution collection of artists’ moving image in Europe, with over 4,500 works by 1,200 artists from the 1920s to the present day
- Online learning resources, with member access to recorded lectures, talks and research
Charlotte Prodger, Stoneymollan Trail, 2015. Courtesy of the artist and LUX.